Returning to school after the lazy days of summer is difficult for many children. Although most children quickly fall back into the routine, getting daily homework done can be a challenge. However, there are things that parents and children can do to make the process easier.
- Have a snack available for the child when he or she returns
from school. Hungry children cannot concentrate.
- Have the child begin the homework shortly after the snack, at
approximately the same time each day.
- Have a quiet, comfortable room with a desk or table to work
- Make sure distractions, such as the radio, television,
telephone, or computer (unless its being used) are turned off.
- Have supplies, such as pencils, pens, erasers and rulers handy.
- Keep other siblings distracted and in other rooms.
- Offer to help the child as necessary. Children feel less stressed if they feel supported.
Homework time may not be a child’s favorite time of the day, but it
should be done without a hassle. It’s important to remind the child
that the benefit of having homework done early is having more time
for fun and relaxing activities.